You likely have certain smells in your life that remind you of things. Perhaps the smell of lavender reminds you of your grandmother, or the smell of fresh lemon reminds you of your best friend. Smells affect all aspects of our lives and helps improve our moods and even can affect memory.
We are always inhaling smells. You may not even realize you do it. You go outside in the morning, stretch and breathe in the fresh morning air. Your nasal passages are filled with the aroma of trees, grass, flowers, wind, rain and more. Not only that, some research is suggesting that our skin can “smell” scents too but instead of realizing it, a healing effect takes place instead. So, even if your sense of smell has been affected by something, being around certain aromas still is healing and helpful to you.
Research has been conducted with brain scans to see what happens when you smell essential oils. The hypothalamus is brought to life, which is the center for the hormones which control energy and drive. That’s why smells can make you feel more energetic and centered.
There are different responses for different smells. For example, mint can make you more energetic, lavender can calm you down. You can choose which scents you want to use for your aromatherapy depending on your needs. You can even combine scents to make a unique to you treatment for your particular conditions.
- Improve Energy – Do you feel tired and lethargic? If so you can use aromatherapy to help energize yourself. Many smells can help you feel more peppy, like citrus and mint.
- Relieve Stress – Everyone has stress in their lives but with the right aromatherapy you can reduce your stress exponentially. Use lemon oil, lavender, peppermint and other essential oils to help lower stress levels.
- Reduce Anger – Some stress responses cause angry outburst, if this is the case for you or your child try using lemon oil as your stress reliever.
- Enhance Memory – Sage and orange are good essential oils to use for memory enhancement. One way to trigger memory is to smell the same things you smelled at the time you experienced the memory.
- Natural Antidepressant — If you suffer from depression or get sad sometimes, you can use aromatherapy to help. Chamomile, jasmine, lavender and peppermint are good scents for helping reduce depression.
- Get Rid Of Headaches – Eucalyptus, Peppermint, rosemary, sandalwood are good scents to help eliminate your headache so that it will go away faster. The best thing to do is determine the cause and treat that. For example, if you are stressed, you can use lavender to help instead of one of the above.
- Sleep Better – One of the most important factors in health aside from eating right and exercising is sleeping. Any of the calming scents will help you such as lavender and chamomile plus many others.
- Reduce Pain – Essential oils can help with chronic pain in many ways from directly putting on the painful area, to using as a compress on the affected area, or by inhaling to help you relax your body.
Using aromatherapy in conjunction with traditional medicine can do wonders for your life in all aspects. Plus, when used correctly it’s safe and effective for all types of issues.