The Safety of Essential Oils: 9 Things You Need to Nnow…
Many people erroneously believe that essential oils aren’t harmful at all, but studies have shown that over use of essential oils can cause issues with the lungs and other problems not to mention lose their effectiveness. That’s why it’s important to understand that even natural components, overused, can cause side effects and issues.
- Dilute Properly – Essential oils are highly concentrated, and if used on the skin it could harm you if you don’t dilute it. The phrase “less is more” is important to remember with all aspects of using essential oils.
- Be Careful with Citrus – Due to photosensitizing molecules it’s imperative that if citrus oils are applied to the skin that you don’t get direct sunlight for at least 12 hours otherwise a burn could occur.
- Watch for Proper Labeling – When you purchase essential oils they are required to have the name of the oil and the country from where it came.
- Store as Medicine – Don’t leave essential oils within reach of pets and children as they can be dangerous and deadly just like medicine. In addition, essential oil needs to be stored in a cool dark place to maintain freshness and effectiveness.
- Do Your Research – Don’t just use essential oils without reading about them and learning. When you discover new oils, find out how to use them before trying it.
- Don’t Ingest – Some people do ingest essential oils, but it’s not safe to do so without a physician’s experienced direction and supervision.
- Avoid the Eye Area – Don’t put essential oils near the eyes or other mucus membranes.
- Keep Away from Flame – Don’t put essential oils near flame as they can explode and are very flammable. For example when using with a candle, only pour on the hot wax, not the flame.
- Inhale for 1 Hour or Less – Each day it’s best if you only inhale vapors from essential oils a total of an hour or less. A few moments are really all you need. Some respiratory ailments have occurred from overuse.
Using essential oils is safe and effective when used in moderation in the right way. Learn about the methods that are used and best prescribed for the treatment of health issues before trying it yourself. Always do your due diligence before trying anything new when it comes to essential oils.