Getting Started with Aromatherapy in Your Own Life
If you want to use aromatherapy to help improve your health, it’s easy to get started, but there are some things you should understand first.
There are three main ways to use essential oils for health.
- Aerial: This is a way to get the fragrance into the air such as putting it with water to spray in the air, or with other compounds. You will find these in air fresheners, candles and more. The oil evaporating into the air allows you to easily inhale the oil.
- Inhalation: May be mixed with other oils, and even placed on a cotton ball, or into hot water to inhale the steam directly. This method is often used as a quick way to get the essential oil into the system to help with disinfection.
- Topical: Used in lotions, carrier oils, compresses and baths. This method is a great way to help people with sore muscles and other issues. You only need a few drops.
Using these methods to apply the essential oils will be used depending on what you’re trying to treat. The benefits of each method become clear as you use the essential oils.
- Massage: With massage you get two methods of healing, one through touch and one through the release of the essential oils into the air.
- Baths: Just a few drops added to your bath or your baby’s bath can help so many problems and encourage relaxation.
- Inhalation: If you have stuffed sinus, a headache, or issues with respiratory passages, inhalation is the best way to help you if you have the flu, a cold or other sinus issues.
Aromatherapy can go far in treating a number of aliments if you think about first, which problem you have, then which method will work best, and finally which essential oil is known to treat that condition. When you take all three factors into consideration then you can treat the problem faster and more effectively.
The way aromatherapy works is that essential oils are extracted from the natural source, concentrated, and then used as scents for the treatment of various issues. The oils are used in candles, diffusers, lotions and sprays. These oils can have many medicinal uses. Some oils are considered carriers, and some are considered scents. When used on the skin a carrier oil needs to be used to help aid in the distribution process and to avoid using too much of the scent.
Essential oils can be extracted from leaves, fruit, flowers, seeds, wood, berries and roots. Many oils are extracted using a distillation process and some is captured using a solvent. The structure of essential oils allows you to mix them with other oils and creams or use in a variety of ways to affect your emotional, physical and cellular life.
You will use various essential oils in different ways depending on the aliment you’re trying to treat:
- Painful muscles or arthritis: Mix the essential oil, such as sage, with carrier oil like sweet almond oil.
- Stress Headaches: Rub a drop of lavender oil on the back of your neck.
- For Energy: Put some citrus oil like orange or lemon in some water and put it into a spray bottle. Spray the air around you.
- To Relax: Put some essential oil on a candle in the hot melted wax, and it will fill the room with the smell.
- Alleviate Depression: Put a few drops of each lavender and geranium in your bath at night to help reduce depression and improve sleep.
- Cure a Hangover: Fill a sink or small basin with hot water, add a few drops each of cedar-wood, grapefruit, lavender, fennel, rosemary and lemon then wet a wash cloth with it, ring out, and place on your forehead and / or neck.
- Reduce Driving Stress: Put some essential oil onto a cotton ball and leave it under the seat in the car, then you can relax, energize or clear your mind while driving.
- For Massages: Massages are stress relieving in and of themselves, but adding some essential oils is a great way to reduce stress, cure headaches, eliminate or relieve pain and more.
Using essential oils in this manner will go far in helping you improve your life. Finding the right mixture for you can be a lot simpler than you think. You can purchase essential oils in sampler sets so that you can try out different combinations to see what works best for you.