The way aromatherapy works is that essential oils are extracted from the natural source, concentrated, and then used as scents for the treatment of various issues. The oils are used in candles, diffusers, lotions and sprays. These oils can have many medicinal uses. Some oils are considered carriers, and some are considered scents. When used on the skin a carrier oil needs to be used to help aid in the distribution process and to avoid using too much of the scent.
Essential oils can be extracted from leaves, fruit, flowers, seeds, wood, berries and roots. Many oils are extracted using a distillation process and some is captured using a solvent. The structure of essential oils allows you to mix them with other oils and creams or use in a variety of ways to affect your emotional, physical and cellular life.
You will use various essential oils in different ways depending on the aliment you’re trying to treat:
- Painful muscles or arthritis: Mix the essential oil, such as sage, with carrier oil like sweet almond oil.
- Stress Headaches: Rub a drop of lavender oil on the back of your neck.
- For Energy: Put some citrus oil like orange or lemon in some water and put it into a spray bottle. Spray the air around you.
- To Relax: Put some essential oil on a candle in the hot melted wax, and it will fill the room with the smell.
- Alleviate Depression: Put a few drops of each lavender and geranium in your bath at night to help reduce depression and improve sleep.
- Cure a Hangover: Fill a sink or small basin with hot water, add a few drops each of cedar-wood, grapefruit, lavender, fennel, rosemary and lemon then wet a wash cloth with it, ring out, and place on your forehead and / or neck.
- Reduce Driving Stress: Put some essential oil onto a cotton ball and leave it under the seat in the car, then you can relax, energize or clear your mind while driving.
- For Massages: Massages are stress relieving in and of themselves, but adding some essential oils is a great way to reduce stress, cure headaches, eliminate or relieve pain and more.
Using essential oils in this manner will go far in helping you improve your life. Finding the right mixture for you can be a lot simpler than you think. You can purchase essential oils in sampler sets so that you can try out different combinations to see what works best for you.